Tom Gill takes over as chair for 2014. Everyone on the executive committee wishes Tom a healthy and productive year. The past year saw two chairs stepping aside or proceeding on a reduced schedule due to medical problems. Other members had to help the section out in ways they didn't plan for. In particular, Dick Gaglione was a great help in filling the void. Thanks Dick and everyone else who pitched in during 2013.
Tom Gill has several ideas for section activities during 2014.
1. A section meeting with a food chemistry speaker. March 12 at 6 PM College of Southern Nevada, Building D Room 101.
2. A field trip to the Mt. Pass, CA rare earths mine this spring. Feb. 7
3. A field trip is planned to the Sheriffs crime scene investigation laboratory April 11, 2014. Contact Tom Gill, phone 702-651-3142 or Thomas.Gill@csn.edu. There is space for 16 and you must fill out a form prior to going.
4. A field trip to the Atomic Test Site is planned for April 16, 2014. This is an all day trip. One must be a US citizen to go.
5. Chemists Celebrate Earth Day will soon be here. Contact Dick Gaglione if you are interested in helping out.
6. Local ACS volunteers will be manning the booth at the CSN Science and Technology Fair. This is career day event for local high school students. There are also some younger home school students that show up. The date is April 18, 2014, time from 9 AM until about 1 PM. College of Southern Nevada, Cheyenne Campus. For information call: Tom Gill 702-651-3142 or Dick Gaglione 702-300-1222.
7. The annual awards meeting will take place April 29, 2014 at College of Southern Nevada Cheyenne Campus. See NEXT MEETING announcement this website.
8. National Chemistry Week activities are currently in the planning stage for this falls event. Contact Dick Gaglione: 702-300-1222.
9. After the start of school in the fall the executive committee will host a new student member breakfast.
10. Fall is the season for the Chemistry Poster contest. There is a high school student event and a college level event. This fall event closes with a local section meeting where posters are displayed and cash prizes awarded to the winners.
Other events for 2014 will be listed here as plans materialize.
Locations and times will be posted for the above events as these become know. More detailed information about up coming events will also be posted on the Next Meeting page of this web site.